HDMI 1.4 + 3D upgrade integrated, price was EUR 600.-
Arcam AV888 professional home cinema processor first owner, latest software! 5 years young!
Top condition !
In the Stereoplay issue 3 / 2013 on pages 40 to 43, the precursor Arcam AV888 1.4 and the power amplifier Arcam P777 were tested as a combination. "
"... because good precursors invite you to do so, they were first tested on active studio monitors like the JBL LSR-4328 as a surround set by means of a symmetric connection, so the Arcam already showed what a serene precision it has in mind AV888 combines sobriety with musicality like few AV components, mostly either overambitious or uninvolved, but rarely so neutral yet subtly fluent, so that the testers were always able to rock their feet involuntarily, as in this case, even in terms of coarse and fine dynamics The Englishwoman found a rarely balanced balance with an attack, such as snare drums or piano stops, which only really high-end amplifiers can deliver ... "
"... the testers connected the home cinema workhorses of the Heco Celan GT series to the P777, emphasizing the team again and even stronger the already known by the AV888 character with crystal clear, but never sharp heights, contoured centers of almost explosive It's clear that the Arcam duo has sound qualities far beyond any of Japan's receivers, some everyday handling functions are cleverly solved, but the streamer is more than happy to play at higher resolutions Well..."
Excellent sounding AV preamp. Many analog inputs. Analog bypass. Simple audio streaming client. Sounds balanced, dynamic and very musical in stereo and surround.
Sound: absolute top class
Overall rating: very good
Price / offer: Very good
The AV888 redefines both feature and high performance AV processing and pre-amplification. The result of a massive 2 ½ year ground-up development program, it features all new state of the art audio stages and balanced audio connectivity. Combined with its natural partner, P777 power amplifier, the AV888 represents a new standard for AV amplification.
Since the early 1990's, Arcam has been dedicated to bringing high fidelity sound to the world of home cinema. Using audio technology usually reserved for audiophile stereo equipment, Arcam has pushed the boundaries for combined music and movie reproduction. The AV8 and AV9 AV processors have won numerous awards for sound and video quality around the world while Arcam's audiophile AV receivers have gained wide critical acclaim in the more affordable sector.
Wolfson 8741 Digital to Analogue Converters are deployed across all eight channels bringing ultra-linear conversion of digital audio signals. Individual, multi-regulated power supplies Burr Brown DRV134 Balanced Line Drivers Used for Balanced Audio Outputs with Extreme Fidelity.
To help eliminate the large volume jumps often found in broadcast TV sound user selectable Dolby Volume * processing is included, a world's first for AV processor. In addition Dolby Volume includes program dependent tonal correction to deliver a more realistic sound experience at low listening levels.
The AV888's internal video processing delivers sublime video using broadcast quality scaling and frame rate conversion from Pixelworks. Up-conversion of all video inputs to HDMI output at a high standard. Full RS232 and IR connectivity is deployed along with a dedicated interface for control and audiophile playback of iPods using the irDock or rLead.
Arcam's world wide reputation for sound quality comes from over 30 years of experience and legendary attention to detail. AV888 and its sound quality is simply world-class. No matter what the program material, from the most explosive block blockbuster action to the most subtle musical detail, the AV888 wants to deliver simply breathtaking performance.
Read the full and in-depth review on Hometheaterreview.com.
Read on in-depth review of the AV888 by an actual owner.
- Audiophile quality components for best sound quality
- Multi-channel 7.1 analogue input for DVD-A or SACD sources
- Stereo direct mode bypasses and disables all digital processing for 2 channel analogue sources
- 9 stereo analogue inputs (including one MM phono input & front 3.5mm AUX input)
- Zone 2 stereo audio, analogue inputs (Source and volume control independent from main zone)
- Zone 3 stereo audio, analogue inputs, linked to Zone 2, volume control independent
- Support for iPod via Arcam rLead / rDock (independent of RS232 connection)
- State of the art Analog Devices ADSP-21366 & ADSP-21367 DSPs for surround decoding
- Wolfson 8741 high end 24bit 192kHz audio DACs
- Crystal Semiconductor stereo ADC and precision electronic volume controls
- Burr Brown DRV134 Balanced line drivers
- Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital +, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, DTS-HD Master Audio *
- DTS High Resolution Audio, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix, DTS96 / 24, DTS Neo: 6 **
- Dolby Volume gain management and Tonal correction processing *
- Dolby Volume processing for balancing program material gain and tonal balance
- Adjustable crossover switching 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 150Hz
- 8 digital inputs 4 rear optical, 3 coaxial, 1 front 3.5mm optical AUX input
- 0-1000 milliseconds to compensate for video processing delays in digital displays and sources with auto-lip-sync for compatible displays
- 5 HDMI inputs (up to 1080p, Deep Color)
- 2 HDMI outputs (up to 1080p, Deep Color)
- 5 Component inputs, one monitor output (up to 1080i)
- 5 S-video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
- 5 composite video inputs, one monitor output, 2 tape outputs
- Full video up / down conversion & frame rate
- Video enhancements (per input): Edge enhancement, Mosquito noise reduction, Random noise reduction, Block noise reduction
Custom Install Features
- Independent Zone 2 (audio and video), with fixed / variable volume
- Zone 3 audio with fixed / variable volume (follows Zone 2)
- Balanced audio outputs (XLR) for long cables or active speakers
- RC-5 remote input jacks for all three zones
- IR pass through for source components
- Full suite of discrete IR RC-5 codes, including separate on / off etc
- 12Volt triggers, on / off for zones 1, 2 and 3
- Full duplex RS232 control input for more complex control systems
- Audio streaming and Internet radio via Ethernet port
- Supplied with back-lit CR102 learning remote
- 7 other components and a huge on-board code library
- Large, high contrast dimmable VFD front panel display
- User switchable between 120 & 230 volt
- mains supplies
- Size - 435mm (17.1in) wide, 415mm (16.3in)
- deep, 185mm (7.3in) high
- Weight 12kg (26.5lbs) is nice, 17kg (37.5lbs) packed